Monday, March 22, 2010

Eastern Bluebird Sighting

Bob and I saw an Eastern Bluebird on Wednesday! It was at Oakwood Cemetery near the woods and it was unmistakable. I saw it first, while it was flying, and thought it was the blue-est Blue Jay I had ever seen. Then it landed on a tree limb and I saw the rosy color on its breast. No crest, either.


It sat in the tree for a while and we both got a good look at it. I have been hoping to see an Eastern Bluebird since I was a young girl. There was a movement back then to try to entice them to nest in boxes on posts near the river where I lived. I always watched to see one, but I never did.


We went back to the cemetery on Thursday armed with binoculars - well, Bob's is a binocular, mine is a monocular Bob made from a half ruined binocular since I only have one eye, anyway - but it was windy and we saw nothing but sparrows and robins.






No comments:

Post a Comment