Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Should I Try to Clean My Edouard Debat-Ponson Print?








I had to ask one of the elderly volunteer clerks at the Bethesda Thrift Shop for help since they'd hung the print way up on the wall. A ladder was produced and the plucky clerk ascended while another held the ladder. I was disappointed at first. There is a water stain on the top and another bigger one across the bottom. But the colors are bright and the subject is rural life at the turn of the nineteenth century, an era I love, so I bought it anyway. It cost $9.99.

The print is marked Debat-Ponson in the corner and some Internet sluething revealed he was a French painter, first name Edouard. He lived from 1847 to 1913. I think this print may be called "The Proposal" but that is not a certainty since that title was listed for more than one print. Likewise, the value of the print was variably listed for as little as $5.00 and as much as $500.00. More proof that the Internet is a minefield of misinformation. Of course, I know nothing about the value of prints; each could be correct. I only know I wanted this one at least $9.99 worth.

I think the frame is original since it looks just like the one on one of the art sites. It is simple, privative, just right for the rural subject.

The water stain sent me on another Internet search and I found many restoration sites. Most of them show examples of their work and they were impressive. Even large holes and tears can be repaired, it seems, and water damage looks to be a simple problem to solve. Less clear is how much that kind of restoration costs. It would be handy if they listed prices along with the glowing examples but not one site did. I am guessing if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

eHow.com has a do-it-yourself option. It involves soaking the print in purified water, then using chloride of lime and print acid. They warn that this is a risky business since the colors could come off along with the stain.

Well, what do you think? Should I risk the print with a do-it-yourself bath or leave it as it is? I don't think the item is valuable enough to justify a professional fix, so it's one of these two choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment