Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!


This euonymus bush is a nice Valentine's Day decoration, I think. It is a quiet day here. Our only concession to the holiday was a lit candle held aloft by a ceramic cupid at the dinner table. Dinner was spaghetti with meatballs and it was good. So much better than braving the big crowds at a restaurant. Bob has disappeared to read "Isle Royale Calling" and I will soon go back to reading "Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. A near perfect day for two bookish folk.
Bob did make me a gift. It's a bookmark made from the cardboard box that held Valentine's cakes I bought for the seniors at my Senior Center. Bob has a thing for very white cardboard packaging; he cuts it up for use in list or note making. I get a note every work morning and I look forward to seeing what he has to say. He leaves me room at the bottom or on the back for my reply.
The bird feeder was busy today with many visits from many different kinds of birds. That usually means bad weather is on the way. A squirrel discovered the suet feeder and has nibbled the edges he was able to reach. We hope to attract the woodpecker we hear in the neighbor's tree but we may regret that. Last time we had a suet feeder a downy woodpecker made lines of holes in our garage siding, presumably to find insects. Bob wasn't happy to have such a well ventilated garage.
You'd think the birds would eat the euonymus seeds but there isn't much evidence that they have. The bush is in our side yard where we can't easily see it so maybe some do. The seed pods are certainly pretty but maybe not tasty.

2 comments:

  1. I´m brazilian and i loved your post about valentine´s day! Here in brazil is CARNAVAL and i was here surfing at net, so i found your blog. It´s so cool!
    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. I didn't expect to hear from Brazil but I guess that's why they call it the "worldwide web!" I don't know for sure what your Carnaval celebration is, unless it is like the one in New Orleans that has to do with celebrating Mardi Gras. I'd love to hear more about it. I just started this blog and hope to update it often so I hope you'll return to see what we're up to.

    ReplyDelete