Friday, July 2, 2010

Adjectives Gone Wild

A local credit union just changed its name. It used to be known as Communications Family Credit Union now it is Wildfire Credit Union. WILDFIRE? Is that a name that inspires confidence? Do I want to put my money where they are advertising wildfires? Who though that name was good idea?

I do know a little about that credit union because many of my fellow postal employees were members. The credit union was known for being very liberal with the loan money in sharp contrast to the Saginaw Federal Postal Credit Union that was stingier. Maybe wildfires were a problem even then so they needed to get the money out of the building to save it...

What about Chrysler's Crossfire? If your engine is cross firing that is when the cylinders are firing in the wrong order, isn't it? And anyone who's ever seen a cop show knows it's dangerous to get caught in the crossfire. The word is also used to describe a verbal battle. Why would we want to buy and then drive something associated with all that trouble?

One day while we were in Heritage Natural Foods I was expounding on this subject and store owner Paul mentioned he's puzzled by the use of the word 'extreme' in business names. Names like 'Extreme Painting" and 'Extreme Rug Cleaner.' Just how much paint would it take to be extreme? I wonder if they leave any nap on a rug that's been through the extreme cleaning process.

I used to rent lock boxes to business customers at the post office and over the years I noticed that if the word 'reliable' was in the name of a business they were anything but. Their checks bounced, they never picked up their mail or they neglected to pay the rent for the box, then complained loudly when it was closed. I should have been given a bonus for refraining from hooting when I helped those 'reliable' folk open a box. I will admit I was unable to suppress a smirk but I never vocalized.

Language is changing all the time and I guess I have to accept new usages but I don't have to like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment