Sunday, May 23, 2010

I can no longer complain that no one asks for my opinion. This week I got a call from the Gallup Poll people. You may remember we were a Neilson Rating household only a few weeks ago so I guess the word is out. Bob and Chari are on the go to folks for public opinion.

I'd like to say I answered the Gallup call with pithy and useful answers but I cannot. First, they didn't really want me. They wanted someone 18 to 34 years old but when I said no one in that age group lived here they settled for the youngest household member and since Bob is the old guy here, I answered.

The subject was alcohol purchase and consumption. Daughter Sarah or stepson Hal could have supplied useful data since they both imbibe moderately, but all my answers were NO. No purchases of beer, wine, wine coolers, no consumption of same, within the last month. The interviewer was pleasant and seemed disappointed in my answers. I told her that I have some rice wine vinegar I could take a slug of if that would help...

After the call ended I realized that we do have some alcohol in the house. At Christmastime Helen, my friend from work, gave me a small bottle of homemade raspberry wine. I tasted it, of course, and it is yummy but so far I have only used a small dash of it to flavor a venison stew.

Why couldn't the Gallup people have asked me about my reading habits or gardening or my political opinions? Life is like that. I have answers but I'm never asked the right questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment