Thursday, April 29, 2010

Nifty Chevy Hood Ornament



Bob made a nifty hood ornament for my 1988 Chevrolet Caprice. When we bought it a few months ago it had a cheesy aftermarket Chevy emblem strapped to the hood with a bungee cord. So tacky. Bob replaced that arrangement with a fancy acorn nut but that developed rust (drat rust, it's the bane of vehicles in Michigan) so he fashioned this new, improved custom bow tie emblem from a chunk of aluminium.

If you know us, you know we love 1980s box style Chevy Caprices. We bought this one from an old woman in Flint, who'd had a stroke and hadn't driven in a long time. She insisted she was still able to drive since she was able to see out of the inner part of her left eye and the outer part of her right eye but her sons thought differently. I feel for her. I hope I have the sense to stop driving if I become a danger on the road.

This is the second low mileage Caprice we have gotten from a Grandma type person. I told daughter Sarah that and she stifled a snicker. I had briefly forgotten that I have slipped into the Grandma category, too. I guess now the Grandmas are just shifting Caprices among us.

I hope there is, as we speak, another Caprice parked in the heated garage of a long lived Grandma who'll in about ten years decide to sell it to that nice couple, Bob and Chari. We are currently looking for another Caprice for one of the senior members of the Grandma club, my Mom. I hope we can find her a good one, too.

I wasn't always a convert to the Caprice club. When Bob and I first married I needed a new car and wanted to buy an AMC Pacer. Does anyone remember the Pacer? It looked like a small fish bowl on wheels and came in groovy 1970s colors. The seat adjusted so far forward you could drive with your nose pressed up against the windshield, if you wanted. The seat fit me perfectly and visibility even for a shorty like me was fantastic; the car was all windows. Well, Bob was very nice about it but he did point out that he wouldn't be able to drive the car since the pedals were so close together his foot depressed accelerator, clutch and brake all at once. Sigh... I saw a spring green Pacer in a parking lot last year. It is the only one I've seen in at least twenty years. Actually, they disappeared fairly quickly, starting with the back fenders. By the 1980s the only Pacers you saw were so eaten by the rust moths that parts flapped in the wind as the car chugged down the road and then even those sorry examples were seen no more.

Anyway, if you see me out and about in my blue 1988 Chevrolet Caprice take a gander at my hood ornament.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, yeah this piece of writing is truly good and I have learned lot of things from it concerning blogging.

    thanks.

    My website; national renewable energy laboratory

    ReplyDelete